Firdale Mennonite Church (Airlie, Oregon, USA)
Firdale Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), now extinct, near Airlie, in southern Polk County, southwest of Salem, Oregon, was organized under the Pacific Coast Mennonite Conference. Mennonite families moved into the area in the fall of 1913. Their first religious service was held in October 1914, with an attendance of 35. Soon after this, the group began meeting at the Berry schoolhouse, where they met until the church was disbanded. The congregation was listed as a rural mission station of the Pacific Coast Conference from October 1914 until its organization as a church in December 1915, when the name Firdale was chosen. In 1916 G. D. Shenk was ordained minister of the church. At one time the membership reached 68, but poor soil conditions caused the members to move away. The last service was held in September 1924.
Shetler, S. G. Church History of the Pacific Coast Mennonite Conference District. Scottdale, Pa., 1932?: 32-34.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, pp. 330-331. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Firdale Mennonite Church (Airlie, Oregon, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/firdale_mennonite_church_airlie_oregon_usa.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1956). Firdale Mennonite Church (Airlie, Oregon, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/firdale_mennonite_church_airlie_oregon_usa.