First Mennonite Church (Ransom, Kansas, USA)
Ransom First Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), located in the small town of Ransom, Ness County, Kansas, a member of the Western District Conference was organized in 1886 by the Abraham Ummel, Julius Jaehde, and Jacob Aeby families. They held their regular meetings in a small sod school located ¾ mile east of Ransom until 1900, when the church was built in Ransom, replaced in 1956 by a brick church. When Jacob Aeby returned to Missouri, Abraham Ummel (d. 1921) became the elder. Not only Mennonites, but also Lutherans joined the church. The congregation had 115 members in 1957; the pastor was R. L. Siemens.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 251-252. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Jaehde, Hr., Mrs. William. "First Mennonite Church (Ransom, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/first_mennonite_church_ransom_kansas_usa.
APA style: Jaehde, Hr., Mrs. William. (1959). First Mennonite Church (Ransom, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/first_mennonite_church_ransom_kansas_usa.