First Mennonite Church (Wilmington, Delaware, USA)
Wilmington First Mennonite Church (Conservative (Amish) Mennonite), Wilmington, Delaware, had its beginnings in the Wilmington Mission (1948-1958) but was organized as a separate congregation in 1958, with a membership of 22. It was associated with the Central Conservative Mennonite Church near Dover and the Laws Conservative Mennonite Church near Harrington, the combined membership of the three in 1959 being 298. Amos Bontrager was the pastor.
Later it served Spanish-speaking worshipers, under sponsorship of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference (MC). It was closed and the property sold in 1987.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1137. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin and Sam Steiner. "First Mennonite Church (Wilmington, Delaware, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2009. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/first_mennonite_church_wilmington_delaware_usa.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin and Sam Steiner. (2009). First Mennonite Church (Wilmington, Delaware, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/first_mennonite_church_wilmington_delaware_usa.