Flanagan (Illinois, USA)
Flanagan, Illinois, is located in Livingston County, in the north central part of the state, with a population of 680 in the mid-1950s, and 1,083 in 2000. Three branches of Mennonites lived in the vicinity of Flanagan, all of Amish background: the Evangelical Mennonites, Salem Mennonite Church; Mennonite Church, Waldo Mennonite Church; and Central Conference Mennonites, Flanagan Mennonite Church. The settlements were located southeast, south, and southwest of Flanagan. Mennonites have lived in this area since 1859 and at that time were known as Amish Mennonites. In 1955 approximately 90 Mennonites lived in Flanagan, and practically all in the general area lived within shopping distance of the village.
In 1898 the Salem Orphanage, later known as the Salem Children's Home, was founded two miles southeast of Flanagan by the Salem Mennonite Church and supported by the Defenseless Mennonites, later known as the Evangelical Mennonite Church.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 334. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Orendorff, Joseph. "Flanagan (Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/flanagan_illinois_usa.
APA style: Orendorff, Joseph. (1956). Flanagan (Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/flanagan_illinois_usa.