Fonda Mennonite Mission (Fonda, Oklahoma, USA)
The Fonda Mennonite Mission (General Conference Mennonite) station was located 8.5 miles west and 5 miles north of Canton, Dewey County, Oklahoma. Work among the Cheyenne Indians in this district was begun by Rodolphe Petter under the Board of Foreign Missions of the General Conference in 1907 as an outstation from Cantonment. From 1913 to 1916 H. Albert Claassen was in charge of Cantonment and Fonda; 1916-1921 Fonda was a separate station in charge of H. T. Neufeld. It was supplied from Cantonment by G. A. Linscheid 1921-1938, Benno Toews 1938-1940, and from Canton by Arthur Friesen 1940-1947, and Alfred Wiebe 1947- . The total number baptized up to 1954 was 332. In 1954 there were 156 members, which included those living around Seiling, Cantonment, Longdale, and Fonda. The Fonda mission closed before the 1980s.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 344. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Wiebe, Alfred. "Fonda Mennonite Mission (Fonda, Oklahoma, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/fonda_mennonite_mission_fonda_oklahoma_usa.
APA style: Wiebe, Alfred. (1956). Fonda Mennonite Mission (Fonda, Oklahoma, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/fonda_mennonite_mission_fonda_oklahoma_usa.