Fort Wayne (Indiana, USA)
Fort Wayne, Indiana, located in Allen County, is the second-largest city (population of 120,000 in 1950; 250,000 in 2008) in the state. "Mad Anthony" Wayne built a stockade fort here in 1795. The first permanent settlement at Fort Wayne was made in 1815. For a long time Fort Wayne was a fur-trading center.
The Mennonites opened a Sunday school in Fort Wayne in 1903, and erected a building for worship in 1905. The present church was built in 1915. The city became the headquarters for the location of the Fort Wayne Bible College operated by this group, as well as a strong congregation. There was also an Evangelical Mennonite church in the city.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 356. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Wenger, John C. "Fort Wayne (Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/fort_wayne_indana_usa.
APA style: Wenger, John C. (1956). Fort Wayne (Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/fort_wayne_indana_usa.