Freeport Mennonite Church (Freeport, Illinois, USA)
Freeport Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located about 7.5 miles northeast of Freeport, Stephenson County, Illinois, is a member of the Illinois Conference, and in 1954 had a membership of 170. It was organized about 1845 by Mennonite settlers from Ontario. The first building was constructed about 1863, and to meet the increasing membership was enlarged about 1888, and again in 1912 and in 1943. The first Sunday school was organized in 1878, the young people's meetings in 1890, and the sewing circle in 1910. The congregation through its history has ordained three deacons, ten ministers, and three bishops. In 1954 Richard Yordy was pastor and bishop.
Address: 3416 East Brick School Road, Freeport, Illinois
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 390. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Zehr, Howard J. "Freeport Mennonite Church (Freeport, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/freeport_mennonite_church_freeport_illinois_usa.
APA style: Zehr, Howard J. (1956). Freeport Mennonite Church (Freeport, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/freeport_mennonite_church_freeport_illinois_usa.