Friedenstal Mennonite Church (Tampa, Kansas, USA)
The Friedenstal Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), located at Tampa, Kansas, a member of the Western District Conference, was organized in September 1899 with 33 charter members, immigrants from Poland. Until 1902 it was known as the North Lehigh Mennonite Church. The first church building was built and dedicated in 1907 and remodeled in 1944. Ministers who served the congregation to the 1950s were Daniel Schmidt, Andrew Ewert, Johann Gerbrandt, Peter Balzer, Wilhelm Ewert, Henry Schmidt, John H. Epp, Walter H. Regier, and Harvey Jantz. Two missionaries went out from this congregation, namely, Mable (Wedel) Suderman to Arizona and Selma Unruh to Africa. The congregation always practiced feetwashing with the Lord's Supper. In 1955 the membership was 123.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 401. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Schmidt, Frank. "Friedenstal Mennonite Church (Tampa, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/friedenstal_mennonite_church_tampa_kansas_usa.
APA style: Schmidt, Frank. (1956). Friedenstal Mennonite Church (Tampa, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/friedenstal_mennonite_church_tampa_kansas_usa.