Gex (Rhône-Alpes, France)
Gex, a district of the French department of Ain, which was ceded by Switzerland to France in 1601. In the 20th century a congregation with name "Pays de Gex" was formed there in the town of Thoiry, eight miles (13 km) from Geneva, by Swiss Mennonite emigrants under the leadership of Abraham Geiser. The congregation joined the Swiss Mennonite Conference in 1925; in 1926 it numbered about 50 souls; in 1955 it had 64 baptized members.
See also Pays de Gex
Almanach-Mennonite (1951): 14.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: II, 105.
Zionspilger (9 March 1924): 39.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 512. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Hege, Christian and Harold S. Bender. "Gex (Rhône-Alpes, France)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/gex_rhone_alpes_france.
APA style: Hege, Christian and Harold S. Bender. (1956). Gex (Rhône-Alpes, France). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/gex_rhone_alpes_france.