Glade Mennonite Church (Accident, Maryland, USA)
Glade Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) near Accident, Maryland, had its origin about 1890 as a mission Sunday school established from the Casselman Valley district under the leadership of Preacher Henry H. Blauch of the Springs congregation, although Amish people had moved into this region as early, as 1776. Early settlers were Brenneman, Bender, and Ash. Sunday school was begun in the Beachy Schoolhouse, later known as the Forks, but the first meetinghouse (26 x 40 ft.) was not built until 1908. At first there was no resident ministry, the congregation being served by the Springs ministers. Bishop Isaac K. Metzler moved into the congregation in 1935 and still served in 1954 as pastor, with Sherman Tressler (ordained 1932) as deacon. The membership in 1953 was 59, about the same as it had been for 40 years.
By the early 1970s, the congregation had outgrown the original structure. With a leap of faith, about $75,000, and much volunteer labor a new meetinghouse was built. It was dedicated in 1973. In 2007 the membership was 120.
Address: 5011 Accident Bittinger Road, Accident, Maryland
Website: Glade Mennonite Church
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 522. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Glade Mennonite Church (Accident, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/glade_mennonite_church_accident_maryland_usa.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1956). Glade Mennonite Church (Accident, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/glade_mennonite_church_accident_maryland_usa.