Gnadental Mennonite Brethren Church (Neuland Colony, Paraguay)
Gnadental Mennonite Brethren Church, located in Colony Neuland of the Paraguayan Chaco, was organized provisionally in an Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) refugee camp in Berlin and after emigration to Paraguay in 1947-1948, officially established on 8 April 1948 in Gnadental, Neuland, Chaco, under the leadership of Wilhelm Löwen and adopted the name Gnadentaler Mennoniten-Brüdergemeinde. Its members were largely recent immigrants from Russia and Poland via Germany through the MCC and were farmers. The 1955 membership was 317. Church services were held regularly in the school building, as were also Sunday schools, choir work, young people's programs, and Ladies' Aid meetings. Feetwashing was not practiced in 1955 but was planned for the near future. Church discipline, both excommunication and ban were practiced when necessary. Songbooks were the combined Heimatklänge, Glaubensstimme, and Frohe Botschaft, and the Evangeliums-Lieder. Wilhelm Löwen was still the leader of the group assisted by two ministers and two deacons.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 532. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Löwen, Wilhelm. "Gnadental Mennonite Brethren Church (Neuland Colony, Paraguay)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/gnadental_mennonite_brethren_church_neuland_colony.
APA style: Löwen, Wilhelm. (1956). Gnadental Mennonite Brethren Church (Neuland Colony, Paraguay). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/gnadental_mennonite_brethren_church_neuland_colony.