Goessel Mennonite Church (Goessel, Kansas, USA)
The Goessel Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), a member of the Western District Conference, located in Goessel, Kansas, was founded by members of the Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, descendants of Mennonite immigrants who came to Kansas in 1874 from Alexanderwohl, Russia, on 15 April 1920, with 177 members, because the Alexanderwohl Church had become overcrowded. Meetings had been held for some time in the Goessel Preparatory School. The church building was erected in 1920. P. P. Buller and Peter Buller came into this congregation as ministers when it was organized. P. P. Buller was immediately named leader and served the congregation as elder 1924-1950, succeeded by Orlin F. Frey 1950-1954 and Leo L. Miller 1954- . The membership in 1953 was 317. Of the 585 who have been members, 278 were baptized here and 307 were received from other congregations.
An educational wing was built in 1960 and a new sanctuary in 1972. In 2008 the membership was 164; the pastor was Michael Hiebert.
109 South Church
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 538. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Frey, Orlin F. "Goessel Mennonite Church (Goessel, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/goessel_mennonite_church_goessel_kansas_usa.
APA style: Frey, Orlin F. (1956). Goessel Mennonite Church (Goessel, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/goessel_mennonite_church_goessel_kansas_usa.