Goshenhoppen (Pennsylvania, USA)
Goshenhoppen, the name given in colonial times to that part of the Perkiomen Valley north of Schwenksville, Pennsylvania, also the former name of the present town of Bally, Pennsylvania. There is evidence that the Hereford Mennonite Church was some times referred to as Goshenhoppen. Also sometime before 1749 J. H. Sprogel, a Lutheran, donated a tract of land in Upper Hanover Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, about 5 miles (8 km.) east of Bally, jointly to the Lutheran, Reformed, and Mennonite denominations for church, cemetery, and school purposes. A union meetinghouse was erected on this tract, but the Mennonites never built a meeting house of their own here. A number of Mennonites are buried in the cemetery of what is now the new Goshenhoppen Reformed Church, the former union church.
Wenger, J. C. History of the Mennonites of the Franconia Conference. Telford, 1937: 238-40.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1088. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Goshenhoppen (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/goshenhoppen_pennsylvania_usa.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1959). Goshenhoppen (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/goshenhoppen_pennsylvania_usa.