Grace Children's Home (Henderson, Nebraska, USA)
Grace Children's Home, Henderson, Nebraska, was founded 1 August 1936, and incorporated 1938 as a nonprofit corporation and reincorporated in 1942. It was licensed by the state of Nebraska to care for 35-40 dependent children. The 1950s plant, on the south side of Henderson, was completed in 1948. It was the only home in Nebraska operating on the family system of having no more than seven children per family group, and each family in its own residence. Children of all faiths were admitted, but raised in evangelical Christianity. The home, supported by freewill offerings and private contributions, had as its purpose to minister to the spiritual, social, mental, and physical needs of the child. The president in 1954 was J. R. Barkman and the superintendent Paul F. Barkman, both ordained ministers of the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Conference.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 560. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Barkman, J. R. "Grace Children's Home (Henderson, Nebraska, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/grace_childrens_home_henderson_nebraska_usa.
APA style: Barkman, J. R. (1956). Grace Children's Home (Henderson, Nebraska, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/grace_childrens_home_henderson_nebraska_usa.