Greensburg (Kansas, USA)
Greensburg, Kansas, is the county seat of Kiowa County, in the south central part of the state (1952 population 1,724; 2000 pop. 1574). It is populated largely by retired farmers and small town businesses. In the mid-20th century it also became quite an industrial city with four large gas pumping stations located near town.
There were three branches of Mennonites in the county in the 1950s, Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (CGC), Mennonite Church (MC), and General Conference Mennonite Church, all located south of Greensburg. The Mennonites have been here since 1908 and numbered approximately 186 in 1952. Only about 45 of this group lived in town, most of them employed at the Kiowa County Memorial Hospital, which was the only Mennonite institution in the county. This was a 24-bed general hospital operated by the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities (Mennonite Church). In 1985 Mennonite Health Resources took over administration of the hospital; Kiowa County took over administration in the mid-1990s.
On 4 May 2007 Greensburg was devastated by an tornado that traveled rapidly through the area, destroying at least 95 percent of the city and killing 11 people.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 576. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Janzen, Samuel and Sam Steiner. "Greensburg (Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2008. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/greensburg_kansas_usa.
APA style: Janzen, Samuel and Sam Steiner. (April 2008). Greensburg (Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/greensburg_kansas_usa.