Grünfeld (Slavgorod Mennonite Settlement, Siberia, Russia)
Grünfeld, a village in the Slavgorod (Barnaul) Mennonite settlement, Siberia, founded in 1908 by Mennonites of Chortitza, South Russia, originally embraced 54 farms with 7,344 acres of arable land and 475 acres of useless land. There were 176 male settlers. In 1912 it was divided into two villages—Grünfeld with 36 farms and Tchernovka with 18. A new school was built in 1926. The Mennonite Church, whose members lived in the villages of Grünfeld, Alexandrovka, Tchernovka, and Rosenwald, was originally attached to the Orlov congregation (later called Schönsee), but because of the great distances it became a separate congregation in 1912 under the leadership of Peter P. Epp. In 1927 it had 186 members, most of whom lived in Grünfeld. It was decided to build a church in the village of Tchernovka, which was centrally located. Nothing was known in the 1950s about the later fate of tlie village under the Soviets.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: II, 192.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, pp. 603-604. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Dirksen, Johann. "Grünfeld (Slavgorod Mennonite Settlement, Siberia, Russia)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 26 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/grunfeld_barnaul_mennonite_settlement_siberia.
APA style: Dirksen, Johann. (1956). Grünfeld (Slavgorod Mennonite Settlement, Siberia, Russia). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/grunfeld_barnaul_mennonite_settlement_siberia.