Henderson Mennonite Brethren Church (Henderson, Nebraska, USA)
The Henderson Mennonite Brethren Church began in 1876 when seven Mennonite Brethren families settled in York and Hamilton counties, Nebraska. The church was organized the next year with 30 charter members. Peter Regier and Heinrich Nickel were their leaders and became ministers. John J. Regier (d. 1902) was the first elder. By 1880 the church membership was 120, and by 1888 it had increased to 226. In 1887 a church 40 x 80 ft. was built three miles (five km) northwest of Henderson, which was replaced in 1926 by a church in town. In the early years the church endured severe testings through strange teaching on divine healing, sanctification, and Seventh-Day Adventism, but weathered them through the wise counsel and guidance of Elder Regier.
In 1902 the church elected John J. Kliewer as presiding minister and leader and two years later as elder, serving until 1924. He was followed by the ministers Gerhard Wiens and John Abrahams. Other ministers who have served the church as pastors to the 1950s were David Hooge, B. B. Fadenrecht, H. B. Kliewer, H. E. Wiens, Art Flaming, and H. R. Berg. The membership in 1954 was 275.
A number of missionaries and other Christian workers have come from this congregation. Among these should be mentioned the evangelist J. S. Regier, and the foreign missionaries, Franz and Agnes Wiens, Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Wiens, Mrs. J. S. Dick, Miss Tina Kornelsen, Elizabeth (Mrs. P. V.) Balzer, and Mrs. J. J. Kasper.
Address: 1201 11th Street, Henderson, Nebraska
Central District Conference of the Mennonite Brethren Church
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 698. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Wiens, H. E. "Henderson Mennonite Brethren Church (Henderson, Nebraska, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/henderson_mennonite_brethren_church_henderson_nebraska_usa.
APA style: Wiens, H. E. (1956). Henderson Mennonite Brethren Church (Henderson, Nebraska, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/henderson_mennonite_brethren_church_henderson_nebraska_usa.