Hepburn (Saskatchewan, Canada)
Hepburn, Saskatchewan is a village in the heart of a large Mennonite community, 26 miles (41.8 kilometers) north and 2 miles (3.2 kilometers) west of the city of Saskatoon. The railroad branch line running through the Mennonite towns of Dalmeny, Menno, Hepburn, Waldheim, and Laird was built in 1908 and it was during this year that Hepburn had its beginning. The population in 1955 was about 300. Since most of the early settlers were of Mennonite Brethren background, the town had only one church, with a membership of about 275 in 1955.
Hepburn was for many years been the head office of the North Saskatchewan M. B. Conference and the M. B. Missions of Saskatchewan, formerly known as the Western Children's Mission. It is also the home of the Bethany Bible College. The Mennonite Mutual Hail Insurance Company with an extensive business beyond Mennonite circles has its office here.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 706. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Epp, J. H. "Hepburn (Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/hepburn_saskatchewan_canada.
APA style: Epp, J. H. (1956). Hepburn (Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/hepburn_saskatchewan_canada.