Hohenwalde (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)
|Hohenwalde (now Krzewsk, Poland)
Source: Wikipedia Commons
|Hohenwalde Mennonite Cemetery
Source: Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization
in Poland website
Hohenwalde (now known as Krzewsk; coordinates: 54.0624, 19.4386 [54° 3′ 44″ N, 19° 26′ 18″ E]; population in 1905, 649; in 2013, 422) is located approximately 12 kilometers (7.5 miles) south-east of Elbląg (Elbing), 26 km. (16 miles) east of Malbork (Marienburg), and 27 km. (17 miles) south-east of Nowy Dwór Gdański (Tiegenhof). Hohenwalde was located west of Wengelwalde and east of Thiensdorf and Baalau.
Until the 14th century, the area of Hohenwalde was under water. In 1631, Dutch settlers began to develop the area. Until 1772 the village was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which the village was located. The village was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the end of World War I, when it came under the jurisdiction of the German province of East Prussia. At the outbreak of World War II in 1939, it came under the control of Nazi Germany. In February 1945 it was occupied by Soviet forces and eventually returned to Poland. In 2012 it was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Markusy, within Elbląg County, Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship.
The Prussian census of 1776 lists 47 Mennonite families in Hohenwalde with the following surnames: Bannmann, Bartz, Dau, Dircksen, Frantz, Friesen, Goertz, Goertzen, Harms, Hill, Horn, Jantz, Jantzen (10 families), Kopp, Martens, Nickel, Olwitz, Ott, Pauls, Penner, Peters, Plenert, Quiring, Roenert, Ross, Schmidt, Stob, Unger, and Wedler. In 1820, Hohenwalde had 659 residents, including 175 Mennonites. In the 2nd half of the 19th century, the village had 70 włókas (1,257 hectares) of land, 118 houses, 651 Lutherans and Catholics, and 167 Mennonites.
Mennonites who were residents of Hohenwalde were members of the Thiensdorf-Markushof Mennonite Church.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Krzewsk." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 16 February 2013. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=368&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Krzewsk." Web. 16 February 2013. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krzewsk.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 12 February 2013. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=2564.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Thiessen, Richard D. "Hohenwalde (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2013. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/hohenwalde_warmian_masurian_voivodeship_poland.
APA style: Thiessen, Richard D. (February 2013). Hohenwalde (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/hohenwalde_warmian_masurian_voivodeship_poland.