Horton Mennonite Church (Whitmer, West Virginia, USA)
Horton Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located at Whitmer, Randolph County, West Virginia, is a mission church of the Middle District of the Virginia Conference. The meetinghouse was originally a Presbyterian church, but when the large sawmill operations were discontinued in that area, and people left the community by the hundreds, the Presbyterians sold their church to the Mennonites for fifty dollars in 1930. It was then repaired and remodeled—the front lobby over which the bell tower and bell were placed was removed and a new entrance made which was more in keeping with the Mennonite faith and practice. In 1953 the congregation had a membership of 24, with Olin McDorman serving as pastor. The congregation was last listed in the 1977 Mennonite Yearbook, when it had a membership of 11.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, pp. 816-817. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Brunk, Harry A. "Horton Mennonite Church (Whitmer, West Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/horton_mennonite_church_whitmer_west_virginia_usa.
APA style: Brunk, Harry A. (1956). Horton Mennonite Church (Whitmer, West Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/horton_mennonite_church_whitmer_west_virginia_usa.