Huron County (Michigan, USA)
|Huron County, Michigan
U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Huron County, Michigan, is a rich farming section located in the east-central part of the state. In 1954, approximately 370 Mennonites were scattered over an area about 20 miles (32 kilometers) long and 10 miles (16 kilometres) wide in the western part of the county. Three families lived in adjoining Tuscola County as home missionaries. Approximately three fourths of the settlement was of the Conservative Amish Mennonite branch and the remainder of the Mennonite Church (MC) branch of the church. The first settlers arrived from Ontario about 1888 or earlier and later organized what is now the Pigeon Mennonite Church. The settlers who later organized the Pigeon River Conservative A.M. Church began to arrive in 1900. The Fairhaven Mission was begun as an outpost of this church in 1934.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 845. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Byler, Raymond. "Huron County (Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/huron_county_michigan_usa.
APA style: Byler, Raymond. (1956). Huron County (Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/huron_county_michigan_usa.