Hutchinson County (South Dakota, USA)
|Hutchinson County, South Dakota
U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Hutchinson County, in southeastern South Dakota, is the most heavily Mennonite-populated county in the state. Beginning in 1874 until the early 1880s a heavy stream of Mennonites settled in the county, all coming from Russia. Freeman (1955 population 1000, about two-thirds Mennonite) very early came to be an active center of Mennonite life. In this city there were many Mennonite business establishments, a Mennonite home for the aged, Freeman Junior College, and a General Conference Mennonite church. Many Mennonites from the surrounding territory come to Freeman to retire. There were in the county in 1955 six Mennonite churches-one Mennonite Brethren, one Krimmer Mennonite Brethren, and four General Conference Mennonite, all but one of which were rural, and three Hutterian Brethren Bruderhofs, all located along the James River, with a population of 275 in 1955. The estimated 1,700 Mennonites in the county constituted approximately 14% of its total population at that time.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 850. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Unruh, J. D. "Hutchinson County (South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/hutchinson_county_south_dakota_usa.
APA style: Unruh, J. D. (1956). Hutchinson County (South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/hutchinson_county_south_dakota_usa.