Hutterdorf Mennonite Church (Freeman, South Dakota, USA)
The Hutterdorf Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite) was a member of the Northern District Conference, located near Freeman, Hutchinson County, South Dakota, It derived its name from the village in Russia from which the settlers came in 1874. Until 1880, when the first school was built, services were conducted in the homes of members by the first ministers, the brethren William Tschetter and David Waldner. The first church, built in 1901, still served the congregation 50 years later. John Hofer, Elias Wipf, and Peter J. Stahl also served as ministers. The latter was ordained in 1917 and was still serving in 1955. The congregation had an organized Christian Endeavor and an active Sunday school. The membership in 1955 was 50.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 854. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Unruh, John D. "Hutterdorf Mennonite Church (Freeman, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/hutterdorf_mennonite_church_gcm_freeman_south.
APA style: Unruh, John D. (1956). Hutterdorf Mennonite Church (Freeman, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/hutterdorf_mennonite_church_gcm_freeman_south.