Keitelau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
|Keitelau (now Swaryszewo, Poland)
Source: Wikipedia Commons
Keitelau (now known as Swaryszewo; coordinates: 54.225, 19.226 [54° 13′ 30″ N, 19° 13′ 33″ E]) is located approximately 8 kilometres (5 miles) east of Nowy Dwór Gdański (Tiegenhof), 12 km. (7.5 mi.) north-west of Elbląg (Elbing), 24 km. (15 mi.) north-east of Malbork (Marienburg), and 42 km. (26 mi.) east of the regional capital Gdańsk (Danzig).
Until 1772 Keitelau was part of the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Keitelau was located. Keitelau was situated in the district (Kreis) of Elbing until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. Today Keitelau is a settlement in the administrative district of Gmina Nowy Dwór Gdański, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
Mennonites did not settle in Keitelau until after 1776. In 1820 the village had 124 inhabitants including 13 Mennonites.
Mennonites who were residents of Keitelau were members of the Rosenort Mennonite Church.
Wikipedia. "Swaryszewo." Web. 24 November 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swaryszewo.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Thiessen, Richard D. "Keitelau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. November 2012. Web. 20 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/keitelau_pomeranian_voivodeship_poland.
APA style: Thiessen, Richard D. (November 2012). Keitelau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/keitelau_pomeranian_voivodeship_poland.