Kraybill Mennonite Church (Mount Joy, Pennsylvania, USA)
The Kraybill Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located in the fertile Donegal Valley, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, first met in the homes of members and Kraybill's mill. In 1810 Jacob Kraybill donated the ground for a building and cemetery. As the congregation grew, that building was enlarged in 1840, replaced entirely in 1869 and again in 1898. In 1908 a church was built in Mount Joy and gradually the congregation was moving that way, until by 1949 the building was turned over to the Kraybill Christian School Board for a school (ten grades). Ministers who served here were Jacob Hershey, the two Peter Nissleys, and Kraybills. The cemetery was still used by the congregation in the mid-1950s.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 234. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Kraybill Mennonite Church (Mount Joy, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 26 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/kraybill_mennonite_church_mt._joy_pennsylvania_usa.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1957). Kraybill Mennonite Church (Mount Joy, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/kraybill_mennonite_church_mt._joy_pennsylvania_usa.