Kronsweide (Chortitza Mennonite settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)
Kronsweide, a village in the Chortitza Mennonite settlement, Ukraine, South Russia, was founded in 1790 by Frisian Mennonites near Einlage, and was first called Alt-Kronsweide. Shortage of water compelled its abandonment in 1833; only five or six farmers remained. About four versts away, in a deep valley, Neu-Kronsweide was built, which in the course of 85 years grew into a thriving colony. Here was located the central church of the Kronsweide congregation; a second one (Schönwiese Mennonite Church) was built in Schönwiese in 1862. In October 1919, while the Revolution was raging, Neu-Kronsweide was destroyed by fire and sword; 14 men were murdered; only the bare walls were left of the church. In 1925 the village began to be slowly rebuilt by returning fugitives, but it was as laborious as 130 years earlier. No village in the Kronsweide congregation suffered so disastrously as Neu-Kronsweide and Andreasfeld, which was also wiped out.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: II, 578.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 249. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Epp, David H. "Kronsweide (Chortitza Mennonite settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/kronsweide_chortitza_mennonite_settlement.
APA style: Epp, David H. (1957). Kronsweide (Chortitza Mennonite settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/kronsweide_chortitza_mennonite_settlement.