Landis Derry Meetinghouse (Hershey, Pennsylvania, USA)
Landis Derry (Spring Creek) Meetinghouse, located in Derry Township, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on the north edge of Hershey, was erected probably as an "Unpartisan Mennonite Meetinghouse" as was Shirk’s in East Hanover Township, Lebanon County, which by 1854 was transferred to the United Brethren. This Spring Creek Meeting house tract came from John Landis (1753-1829), a great-grandson of Felix Landis, a pioneer of East Lampeter, Lancaster County. Henry Landis (1764-1844), another great-grandson of Felix, was a minister of the Landis congregation. There is a small cemetery here, in which are the graves of John Landis and others bearing this family name. The cemetery is located just off Park Avenue along Smith Alley and behind the residence at 333 Park Avenue. The United Brethren absorbed most of the Mennonite membership. Henry's son Henry Jr. (1794-1885) founded the Landis Meetinghouse (congregation) at Palmyra, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 281. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Landis Derry Meetinghouse (Hershey, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/landis_derry_meetinghouse_hershey_pennsylvania_usa.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1957). Landis Derry Meetinghouse (Hershey, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/landis_derry_meetinghouse_hershey_pennsylvania_usa.