Langezwaag (Friesland, Netherlands)
Langezwaag is a village in the Dutch province of Friesland where there was formerly a Mennonite congregation of the Flemish branch. Probably a congregation existed here already in the 16th century. About 1620, at a meeting of Flemish leaders held at Langezwaag, a quarrel arose between the elders Jan Luies of Groningen and Jacques Outerman of Haarlem. Soon after this the congregation of Langezwaag joined the Groningen Old Flemish group. In 1648 Meinte Sjoerds and Cornelis Jeltes were preachers here. Though figures are not available, the membership must have been very small. Meetings were held in a private home "In de Wyngaart," It seems that about 1645 the congregation of Langezwaag was united with that of Knijpe. After 1655 there is no further information. The congregation must have died out before 1710, because it is not found in a list of the Groningen Old Flemish congregations drawn up in this year.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1879): 3, 90.
Molhuysen, P. C. and P. J. Blok. Nieuw Nederlandsch Biografisch Woordenboek: Leiden, 1911-1937: III, 797.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 290. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Langezwaag (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/langezwaag_friesland_netherlands.
APA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1957). Langezwaag (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/langezwaag_friesland_netherlands.