Liberty Mennonite Church (South English, Iowa, USA)
the Liberty Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church) was located near South English, Keokuk County, Iowa and was a member of the Iowa-Nebraska Mennonite Conference. It was organized in 1898 by L. J. Heatwole and Daniel Driver with nine members. The membership in 1954 was 84. S. B. Wenger was one of the charter members and a chief promoter of the work at this place. Services were held in a schoolhouse until the autumn of 1900, when a new meetinghouse was dedicated. The first resident minister was S. G. Lapp, later ordained bishop. Serving with him was P. J. Blosser as minister from 1907, serving as bishop since 1929. Silas J. Horst was assistant pastor in 1955.
Gingerich, Melvin. Mennonites in Iowa. Iowa City, 1939.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 334. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Horst, Silas J. "Liberty Mennonite Church (South English, Iowa, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/liberty_mennonite_church_south_english_iowa_usa.
APA style: Horst, Silas J. (1957). Liberty Mennonite Church (South English, Iowa, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/liberty_mennonite_church_south_english_iowa_usa.