Lichty Mennonite Church (East Earl, Pennsylvania, USA)
Lichty (or Smoketown) Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), a congregation of the Weaverland circuit, Lancaster Mennonite Conference, first worshiped in the farm homes of Christian Lichty and Peter Shirk, until the meetinghouse was built in 1849 a mile south east of the present site. In 1889 a stone meetinghouse was erected (this was the church where the introduction of a pulpit aided the Old Order Mennonite schism). This was earlier also called Zimmerman, and the cemetery in a field a half mile southwest of the present sector still carries the name. The bishop Christian Zimmerman lived hereabouts. This was also Preacher John W. Weaver's home church. In 1956 J. Paul Graybill was bishop and the Weaverland ministers were in charge. The membership in 1956 was 92. In 2002 the membership was 160; Clair R. Long served as minister.
Address: 1690 Union Grove Road, East Earl, Pennsylvania
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 336; vol. 4, p. 1146. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Lichty Mennonite Church (East Earl, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/lichty_mennonite_church_east_earl_pennsylvania_usa.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1957). Lichty Mennonite Church (East Earl, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/lichty_mennonite_church_east_earl_pennsylvania_usa.