Lititz Mennonite Church (Lititz, Pennsylvania, USA)
Lititz Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) is located in the center of a strong Mennonite community in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Fifty members of the Hess and Hammer Creek congregations appealed for a meetinghouse in the borough (then Warwick). In 1906 this house was built. Jacob H. Hershey (1862-1947), ordained at Olathe, Kansas, but a native son, became the first pastor, but it was still part of the Hess-Hammer Creek District. Ephraim N. Eby (1852-1937) served as deacon, and Noah L. Landis (1857-1940) as bishop from the start. Amos S. Horst and Mahlon Zimmerman were the 1956 bishops, John S. Hess and Melvin Lauver pastors, and Lester B. Wenger deacon. The membership was 203 in 1956. The church was remodeled in 1952. In 2008 the membership was 177; the pastor was Lowell Keith Gerber.
165 E Front Street
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 377. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Lititz Mennonite Church (Lititz, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/lititz_mennonite_church_lititz_pennsylvania_usa.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1956). Lititz Mennonite Church (Lititz, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/lititz_mennonite_church_lititz_pennsylvania_usa.