Locust Grove Mennonite Church (Burr Oak, Michigan, USA)
Locust Grove Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located five miles (eight km) northwest of Burr Oak, St. Joseph County, Michigan, is a member of the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference. It was started as a mission station by the Shore congregation near Shipshewana, Indiana, about 1940. On 18 November 1945, the church was organized with 61 charter members, and Orvin H. Hooley was ordained as pastor. Lee J. Miller, bishop of the Shore congregation, served as bishop. The 1954 membership was 190. The first meetinghouse was built in 1941 and enlarged in 1950.
In 2008 the membership was 194; the pastors were Jim and Faith Carpenter.
29525 Findley Road
Burr Oak, Michigan
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 384. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Hooley, Orvin H. "Locust Grove Mennonite Church (Burr Oak, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/locust_grove_mennonite_church_burr_oak_michigan.
APA style: Hooley, Orvin H. (1957). Locust Grove Mennonite Church (Burr Oak, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/locust_grove_mennonite_church_burr_oak_michigan.