Longenecker Mennonite Church (Winesburg, Ohio, USA)
The Longenecker and Kolb Mennonite (Mennonite Church) congregations in the northwestern part of Holmes County, Ohio, were organized in 1830 as one congregation with two meeting places by settlers from Bucks County, Pennsylvania, including such families as the Longeneckers, Kolbs, Freeds, Beidlers, Barkeys, Hauns, Mumaws, Weldys, Moyers, and Shoups. The first meetinghouse, Kolb's, was built of logs in 1833, Longenecker's of hewn logs in 1834. The congregation, originally a member of the Ohio Mennonite Conference, later became a member of the Ohio and Eastern Conference. Paul Lantz was the pastor in 1954 and the reported membership was 64. The congregation never had a resident bishop. In the early years overflow crowds met at the church at communion partly to hear the excellent singing. Later, conditions resulted in decline in membership—the moving away of more active families, the unfaithfulness and silencing of three ministers over the years, and proselytizing by the German Methodists. Sunday school workers from the Walnut Creek congregation succeeded in keeping alive the little congregation at Longenecker's. Kolb's meetinghouse has been abandoned and razed, while Longenecker's was rebuilt about 1954, so that the congregation was then called Longenecker. Nearly all of the church members in the neighborhood became members of a thriving Reformed Church.
In 2006 the membership was 190; the pastor was Glenn Dale Coblentz.
Address: 8451 Holmes County Road 186, Winesburg, Ohio
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 389. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Umble, John S. "Longenecker Mennonite Church (Winesburg, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/longenecker_mennonite_church_winesburg_ohio_usa.
APA style: Umble, John S. (1957). Longenecker Mennonite Church (Winesburg, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/longenecker_mennonite_church_winesburg_ohio_usa.