Lost Creek Mennonite Church (Mifflintown, Pennsylvania, USA)
Lost Creek Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), in the Lancaster Mennonite Conference, is located one mile (1.6 km.) south of Oakland Mills, Juniata County, Pennsylvania. Mennonite families named Musser, Sherck, Shellenberger, and Funk moved into this locality in the late 18th century and by 1819 had a log meetinghouse for worship and school. After a few enlargements a new brick structure was built in 1869. A large old cemetery adjoins the church. This was the home congregation of Bishop Jacob Graybill, and preachers Michael Funk, Christian Auker, Henry Shelley, Samuel Gehman Sr. and Jr., Jacob Kurtz, William Graybill, and William Sieber. Sunday school was opened in 1891. The congregation is a part of the Delaware Circuit. The membership in 1958 was 97, with Raymond Lauver as minister.
Address: RR 2, Mifflintown, PA 17059-9802
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1103. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Lost Creek Mennonite Church (Mifflintown, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/lost_creek_mennonite_church_mifflintown_pennsylvania_usa.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1959). Lost Creek Mennonite Church (Mifflintown, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/lost_creek_mennonite_church_mifflintown_pennsylvania_usa.