Neukirch (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
|House erected in 1820 for Peter Conrad. At the beginning
of the 20th century, it belonged to Eduard Penner.
Source: Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization
in Poland website.
|Neukirch (now Nowa Cerkiew, Poland)
Source: Wikipedia Commons
Neukirch (also known as Nowacerkiew; now known as Nowa Cerkiew; coordinates: 54.177604, 18.903127 [54° 10′ 39″ N, 18° 54′ 11″ E]; population in 1905, 727; in 1943, 1,037; in 2012, 462), is located approximately 5 kilometres (3 miles) south-west of Ostaszewo, 15 km. (9 mi.) west of Nowy Dwór Gdański (Tiegenhof), 19 km. (12 mi.) north-west of Malbork (Marienburg), and 28 km. (17 mi.) south-east of the regional capital Gdańsk (Danzig).
The village was granted privileges (with 60 włókas [1,077.3 hectares]) ca. 1342-45 by the Ludolf König von Wattzau, Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights. The St. Martin parish church was founded at the same time. The Catholic church was replaced in 1879. The first Lutheran church was erected in 1631 and replaced in 1838 by a new half-timbered church, which was transferred to Elbląg.
Until 1772 Neukirch was part of the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Neukirch was located. Neukirch was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2012 Neukirch (now Nowa Cerkiew) was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Ostaszewo, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
In the 1776 Prussian census there were six Mennonite families living in Neukirch with the following surnames: Adrian, Ens, Jantzen, Regehr, Toews, and Warkentin. In 1820, the village had 360 residents, including 30 Mennonites.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Nowa Cerkiew." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 28 October 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=397&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Nowa Cerkiew, Nowy Dwór Gdański County." Web. 28 October 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowa_Cerkiew,_Dwór Gdański_County.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 28 October 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=4667.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Thiessen, Richard D. "Neukirch (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. October 2012. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/neukirch_pomeranian_voivodeship_poland.
APA style: Thiessen, Richard D. (October 2012). Neukirch (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/neukirch_pomeranian_voivodeship_poland.