Old Colony Mennonite Church (Vauxhall, Alberta, Canada)
Old Colony Mennonites from Mexico began immigrating to the Tabor and Vauxhall areas of southern Alberta in the mid-1980s. They were joined by others from Belize and from Mexico via Manitoba and Ontario.
The Vauxhall Old Colony Mennonite Church (Alt-Kolonie Mennonitengemeinde) worship house is located 10 km. north and 6 km. east of the town of Vauxhall. A Mennonite Church building was purchased and renovated to resemble Old Colony worship houses in Latin America. The building is equipped with electric lighting. The worship house was dedicated by Aeltester Cornelius Enns from Ontario on 12 November 1994.
In 2010 the church was led by Aeltester Jacob Giesbrecht and had approximately 450 members. Services were held in both Low German and High German.
Gutsche, Horst W. "Verzeichnis deutschsprachiger Gemeinden und Seelsorger in Kanada." March 2010. Web. 23 February 2012..
Wiebe, Herman. "Vauxhall Old Colony Mennonite Church" in Old Colony Mennonites in Canada 1875 to 2000, edited by Delbert F. Plett. Steinbach, MB: Crossway Publications, Inc., 2001: 162.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Thiessen, Richard D. "Old Colony Mennonite Church (Vauxhall, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2012. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/old_colony_mennonite_church_vauxhall_alberta_canada.
APA style: Thiessen, Richard D. (February 2012). Old Colony Mennonite Church (Vauxhall, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/old_colony_mennonite_church_vauxhall_alberta_canada.