Peace and Arbitration Committee (Mennonite Church)
Peace and Arbitration Committee, appointed at the Annual Conference of the Mennonite Church of Canada (MC) in 1906 to represent the conference in "advancing the cause of nonresistance in every legitimate way," reported to conference and was reappointed annually until 1922, when a motion was passed to release it. Those appointed to this committee in 1906 were S. F. Coffman, L. J. Burkholder, and David Bergey. In 1911 the committee was increased to four members. The action calling the committee into existence in 1906 included a recommendation that a Peace and Arbitration Association be organized in each member congregation of the conference. At least one congregation responded, for the Mennonite Historical Library at Goshen College has an undated printed constitution of the Mennonite Peace and Arbitration Association located at the Wideman Church, York County, Ontario. The stated object of this organization was "the promotion of universal and permanent peace, by means of arbitration and by cultivating the spirit of peace and good will among men." It is not known how extensive its membership and activities were, nor how long it lasted.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 1113-1114. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Springer, N. P. "Peace and Arbitration Committee (Mennonite Church)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/peace_and_arbitration_committee_mennonite_church.
APA style: Springer, N. P. (1959). Peace and Arbitration Committee (Mennonite Church). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/peace_and_arbitration_committee_mennonite_church.