Pine Grove Mennonite Church (Bowmansville, Pennsylvania, USA)
|Pine Grove Mennonite Church, Bowmansville, PA
Source: AMEC website
Pine Grove Mennonite Church (Alliance of Mennonite Evangelical Congregations, formerly General Conference Mennonite Church), located at Bowmansville, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, had its beginning in 1848, when certain members were excommunicated from the Mennonite Church congregations for bringing suit in protest against the state's taking over the schools. In 1852 they organized a congregation, and in 1854 dedicated a new meetinghouse. A tablet originally facing the highway, bearing the legend, "Pine Grove Fersamling House 1854," is now in the church. Ministers who have served are William Shelly 1856-58, Solomon Ott 1859-1913, Raymond Stubbs 1929-1948, Leroy Albright 1950-1953, and John Wesley Muffley 1953-1955. In 1957 the membership was 42, with Howard T. Landes as pastor.
In 2002 the congregation became one of the charter members of the Alliance of Mennonite Evangelical Congregations (AMEC).
Address: 1194 Reading Road, P.O. Box 573, Bowmansville, PA 17507
Website: Pine Grove Mennonite Church
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 181. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Muffley, John Wesley. "Pine Grove Mennonite Church (Bowmansville, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. August 2010. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/pine_grove_mennonite_church_bowmansville.
APA style: Muffley, John Wesley. (August 2010). Pine Grove Mennonite Church (Bowmansville, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/pine_grove_mennonite_church_bowmansville.