Poppingawier (Friesland, Netherlands)
Poppingawier, a village in the Dutch province of Friesland, where there has been a Mennonite congregation since earliest times. It was usually united with the Irnsum congregation. Only in 1871-1879 did it have its own preacher (J. J. Honig 1871-75, G. Vrijer 1875-79). Nothing is known of its early history. Until 1848, when a church was built, the congregation met in a private home. The baptized membership in 1899 was 95, and in 1958 it was 41.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1870): 140 note, 152; (1872): 191; (1887): 147.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: III, 383.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 203. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Poppingawier (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 26 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/poppingawier_friesland_netherlands.
APA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1959). Poppingawier (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/poppingawier_friesland_netherlands.