Premont Mennonite Brethren Church (Premont, Texas, USA)
Premont Mennonite Brethren (MB) Church, located in Premont, Jim Wells County, southern Texas, had its beginning in settlement of a number of MB families in 1927. On 3 November 1929, this group organized as a local church and at a subsequent meeting elected Elder H. H. Flaming as leader and pastor. Meetings were at first held in homes and in other buildings. In 1935 the congregation purchased some land and built its own church. Elder H. H. Flaming was followed by J. P. Kliewer 1941-1947, John W. Duerksen 1947-1952, Lewis H. Boese 1953-1956 and 1958- , Ruben Wedel 1956-58. In 1958 the membership was 53. By the late 1950s the church had a parsonage and Sunday-school annex.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 214-215. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Duerksen, John W. "Premont Mennonite Brethren Church (Premont, Texas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/premont_mennonite_brethren_church_premont_texas.
APA style: Duerksen, John W. (1959). Premont Mennonite Brethren Church (Premont, Texas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/premont_mennonite_brethren_church_premont_texas.