Pretty Prairie Amish Mennonite Church (Lagrange County, Indiana, USA)
Pretty Prairie Amish Mennonite Church, now extinct, located about 10 miles north northeast of Lagrange, Indiana, the meetinghouse of which, built in 1872, was still standing on the farm of Simon Bontrager in the late 1950s. Early settlers were Christian K. Mast (born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, in 1822) 1864, Christian J. Plank of Adams County, Indiana, 1859, Christian Nafziger (served as a preacher), Christian Stuckey, Christian Plank, Joseph Borntrager, and Jacob Hooley. Other ministers who served at Pretty Prairie were Christian Warye, who moved to Johnson County, Iowa, in 1884, Jonas C. Yoder, who moved to Logan County, Ohio, and Jonathan B. Hartzler (1850-1950), ordained preacher 18 May 1879, but who did his lifework in the Crown Hill (Mennonite Church) congregation in Ohio. At the communion service in 1869 bishops J. D. Troyer of Marshall County, Indiana, and Isaac Smucker of Lagrange County (Hawpatch congregation at Topeka) were in charge. Daniel Brenneman visited the congregation as early as 1866. The congregation had died out by 1915. The membership never exceeded 40.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 216. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Wenger, John C. "Pretty Prairie Amish Mennonite Church (Lagrange County, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/pretty_prairie_amish_mennonite_church_lagrange.
APA style: Wenger, John C. (1959). Pretty Prairie Amish Mennonite Church (Lagrange County, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/pretty_prairie_amish_mennonite_church_lagrange.