Printzlaff (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
|A house built in 1789 in Printzlaff
Source: Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization
in Poland website
|Printzlaff (now Przemysław, Poland)
Source: Wikipedia Commons
Printzlaff (also Prenslaff and Printzlaw; now Przemysław; coordinates: 54.296, 18.971 [54° 17′ 45″ N, 18° 58′ 15″ E]; population in 2012, 310) is located approximately 14 kilometres (9 miles) north-west of Nowy Dwór Gdański (Tiegenhof) and 24 km (15 mi) east of the regional capital Gdańsk (Danzig).
In the early Middle Ages, there was an settlement in the Printzlaff area and then a castle located between the lands of the Teutonic Order and Duke Świętopełek of Pomerania. The castle was captured and fortified by the Teutonic Knights, but soon afterwards, it lost its importance. The village of Printzlaff received privileges in 1378. It was severely destroyed in the 17th century as a result of the siege of the fortress Gdańska Głowa (Danziger Haupt) and was redeveloped by Dutch settlers in the 2nd half of the 17th century.
Until 1793 Printzlaff was part of Danzig in Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The Second Partition of Poland in 1793 added Danzig and its surrounding territory to the province of West Prussia. Printzlaff was situated in the district (Kreis) of Danzig from 1818 until 1887, when it became part of the district of Danziger Niederung. Printzlaff became part of the Free City of Danzig from 1920 until the outbreak of World War II in 1939, when it came under the control of Nazi Germany. In February 1945 it was occupied by Soviet forces and eventually returned to Poland. Today it is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Stegna, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
The 1793 Danzig census lists two Mennonite families in Printzlaff with the surname Wiebe. In 1820, the village had 333 residents, including 7 Mennonites. In 1869, Printzlaff had 1,839.49 morgas (1,100 hectares) of land, 36 houses and 394 residents, including 10 Mennonites.
Mennonites who were residents of Printzlaff were members of the Bärwalde Mennonite Church.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Przemysław." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 3 December 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=423&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Przemysław, Pomeranian Voivodeship." Web. 3 December 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Przemys%C5%82aw,_Pomeranian_Voivodeship.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Thiessen, Richard D. "Printzlaff (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2012. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/printzlaff_pomeranian_voivodeship_poland.
APA style: Thiessen, Richard D. (December 2012). Printzlaff (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/printzlaff_pomeranian_voivodeship_poland.