Providence Mennonite Church (Collegeville, Pennsylvania, USA)
|Providence Mennonite Church, Collegeville, PA
Source: AMEC website
Providence Mennonite Church (Alliance of Mennonite Evangelical Congregations, formerly Mennonite Church), a small congregation located in Upper Providence Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, is a member of the Franconia Mennonite Conference. It originated about 1815 (although some claim 1740) and has been a part of the Skippack circuit, which includes the Skippack, Worcester, and Providence congregations. By 1890 the congregation had grown to 65 members; in 1936 the membership had dropped to 40, and by 1957 reached 65 again. The minister in that year was Jesse M. Mack. Providence had the oldest meetinghouse in the Franconia Conference, probably built in 1815. It was razed in 1958 and replaced by a new one.
In 2002 the congregation became a charter member of the Alliance of Mennonite Evangelical Congregations (AMEC).
Wenger, J. C. History of the Mennonites of the Franconia Conference. Telford, 1937: 110 -11.
Address: 109 S Mennonite Road, Collegeville, PA
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 223. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Wenger, John C. "Providence Mennonite Church (Collegeville, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. August 2010. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/providence_mennonite_church_collegeville.
APA style: Wenger, John C. (August 2010). Providence Mennonite Church (Collegeville, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/providence_mennonite_church_collegeville.