Prušánky (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic)
Prušánky (German, Pruschanek, Pru(t)schän) is a Moravian village situated between Kostel and Göding, which belonged to the domain of the Závis of Vitchkov in 1566, when the Hutterian Brethren settled there. It suffered great hardship during the wars of the 17th century. It was plundered and burned by Bocskay's troops on 12 July 1605; four of the inmates were murdered, thirty-five kidnapped - men as well as women. The householder Cornelius Harb was held responsible for their seizure and was expelled from the brotherhood; he was later restored to fellowship. In spite of the high price demanded by the Turks and Hungarians for their captured Hutterites, the women priced at 100 or even 200 ducats depending on their appearance and age, the elders decided to redeem them. They were apparently not successful in this undertaking, for in 1607 complaints from the sisters held in Ofen were still reaching Prushanek, and Sigel (Sigmund) Pühler was in this year tardily called to account for his negligence in providing for the safety of the sisters. Salomon Böger, a miller, whose wife and son were among the victims taken into slavery in Turkey, made a courageous journey into Turkey to try to redeem them as well as the others.
In 1609 the Brethren began to clear away the rubble and to rebuild the Bruderhof; but after another decade, on 23 September 1619, it was again burned down, this time by Dampierre's troops. Scarcely had the Brethren completed rebuilding it, when Polish auxiliaries and peasants pillaged it on 12 January 1621, murdering the householder, Hans Walmann. It was not reopened. In 1624 the Jesuits of Olomouc purchased the Tscheikowitz estate and built the chapel of St. Catherine in Pruschanek.
Beck, Josef. Die Geschichts-Bücher der Wiedertäufer in Oesterreich-Ungarn. Vienna, 1883; reprinted Nieuwkoop: De Graaf, 1967.
Friedmann, Robert. "Adventures of an Anabaptist in Turkey, 1607-1610." Mennonite Quarterly Review XVII (April 1953): 73-86.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: III, 403.
Wolkan, Rudolf. Geschicht-Buch der Hutterischen Brüder. Macleod, AB, and Vienna, 1923.
Wolny, G. Kirchliche Topographie von Mähren II: Brünner Erzdiözese II. Brno, 1858: 197.
Zieglschmid, A. J. F. Die älteste Chronik der Hutterischen Brüder: Ein Sprachdenkmal aus frühneuhochdeutscher Zeit. Ithaca: Cayuga Press, 1943: 421 f.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 224. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Dedic, Paul. "Prušánky (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/prusanky_jihomoravsky_kraj_czech_republic.
APA style: Dedic, Paul. (1959). Prušánky (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/prusanky_jihomoravsky_kraj_czech_republic.