Reading Mennonite Mission (Reading, Pennsylvania, USA)
Reading Mennonite Mission (Mennonite Church) was opened as a result of the study of the Book of Acts in the Gehman District of Lancaster Mennonite Conference. The first service was held on 8 January 1922. Jacob Gehman became the first superintendent in January 1923. The center was moved to 558 North 11th Street and in 1926 to the former Lutheran church at 12th and Windsor Streets. In 1958 Arthur Good and Paul Angstadt were the ministers, with a membership of 40. The first regional Bible school was held here in 1955. The Girls’ Home (see Mennonite Girls’ Home) has been an aid to the Mission over the years.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 257. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Reading Mennonite Mission (Reading, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/reading_mennonite_mission_reading_pennsylvania_usa.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1959). Reading Mennonite Mission (Reading, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/reading_mennonite_mission_reading_pennsylvania_usa.