Ridge Valley Meeting (West Rockhill Township, Pennsylvania, USA)
Ridge Valley (General Conference Mennonite) Meeting, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. A deed of 12 December 1792 conveyed a parcel of land in West Rockhill Township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, to "the Lutheran and Reformed Calvinist societies." A log school on the tract was used as a house of worship at least until 1833 when it was renovated. It is not known when the Mennonites began to share in the use of this union house of worship, possibly before 1833, but in 1854 the Lutherans, the Reformed, and the Mennonites united to build a meetinghouse for their common use. The building committee consisted of one representative from each group, the Mennonite being Jacob Roth. It appears that the Mennonites who united in this project were of the Oberholtzer group (eventually part of the General Conference Mennonite Church). The Mennonite services seem to have soon died out, but were resumed about 1881, only to be discontinued permanently in 1886.
Wenger, J. C. History of the Mennonites of the Franconia Conference. Telford, 1937: 244, 245.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 326. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Wenger, J. C. "Ridge Valley Meeting (West Rockhill Township, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/ridge_valley_meeting_pennsylvania_usa.
APA style: Wenger, J. C. (1959). Ridge Valley Meeting (West Rockhill Township, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/ridge_valley_meeting_pennsylvania_usa.