Risser Mennonite Church (Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, USA)
Risser (Rissers) Mennonite Church, located 4 miles east of Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, a member of the Lancaster Conference, originated in 1737. The first meetinghouse was built in 1760 in a grove on Peter Risser's land. This was enlarged in 1865, and in 1887 replaced by the present frame church 50 x 70 ft. It is beautifully located, with a schoolhouse adjoining and a well-kept cemetery. In 1957 the membership was 138; Noah W. Risser and Clarence E. Lutz were the bishops, Walter W. Oberholtzer and J. Harold Forwood the ministers. It formerly shared its ministers with the Stauffer congregation at Bachmanville.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 341. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Risser Mennonite Church (Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/risser_mennonite_church_elizabethtown_pennsylvania.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1959). Risser Mennonite Church (Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/risser_mennonite_church_elizabethtown_pennsylvania.