Rosthern (Saskatchewan, Canada)
Rosthern, Saskatchewan, is a town (population, 2,000 in 1959, 1,382 in 2006; coordinates: 52° 39′ 40″ N, 106° 20′ 0″ W) halfway between Saskatoon and Prince Albert. It was started in 1902 by Gerhard Ens; the first settlers were Mennonites. By the late 1950s it had many nationalities and ten churches, of which the Mennonite church was the largest. Most of the stores at that time were owned by Mennonites, especially Friesens. Rosthern was also the seat of the Canadian Mennonite Board of Colonization 1922-47, the time when David Toews (died 1946) of Rosthern served as chairman, through which over 20,000 Mennonites were brought into Canada, mostly from Russia, and the seat of Der Bote, which had been printed and published here from the beginning.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 362. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Rempel, J. G. "Rosthern (Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/rosthern_saskatchewan_canada.
APA style: Rempel, J. G. (1959). Rosthern (Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/rosthern_saskatchewan_canada.