Rudnerweide (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
|Rudnerweide (now Rudniki, Poland)
Source: Wikipedia Commons
|House in Rudnerweide, built in the 2nd half of the 18th
century, including a barn from 1753.
Source: Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch
Colonization in Poland
|Detailed map of Rudnerweide, 1913.
Source: Archiwum Map Zachodniej Polski
Rudnerweide (also known in the past as Pascua Rudzińska, Wieś Rudzińska albo pastwisko Benow, Raudnerweide, Rudnerweyde, and Rudnersweide; now known as Rudniki; coordinates: 53.872823, 18.885326 [53° 52′ 22″ N, 18° 53′ 07″ E]; population in 1905, 71, in 1939, 158, in 2012, 120), is a village in the Stuhm Lowlands near the Vistula formerly located in West Prussia. It lies approximately 6 kilometres (4 miles) north-west of Ryjewo (Rehhof), 15 km (9 mi.) north of Kwidzyn (Marienwerder), and 59 km (37 mi.) south of the regional capital Gdańsk (Danzig).
Mennonites expelled from the Tilsit marshes, East Prussia, settled here in 1724, draining and reclaiming the swampy area. The family names of these settlers were Arendt, Block, Ediger, Flamming, G(o)ertz, Jantzen, Nickel, Penner, Quiring, Schroeder, Unrau, and Wichert. In the Dutch Naamlijst the congregation is called "Stuumsche Needering op Swijngrube." It was later called Tragheimerweide or Zwanzigerweide. It belonged to the Frisian branch, also being called Waterlander.
The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Rudnerweide was located. Rudnerweide was situated in the district (Kreis) of Stuhm until the end of World War I, when it came under the jurisdiction of the German province of East Prussia. In 1928, Rudnerweide and Klein Schardau were merged into one administrative village named Rudnerweide. Rudnerweide came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2013 Rudniki was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Ryjewo, within Kwidzyn County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
The 1776 Prussian census lists 18 Mennonite families in Rudnerweide with the following surnames: Albrecht, Block, Ediger, Fleming, Goertz, Nickel, Pauls, Penner, Peters, Quiring, Schroeter, Tiart, Unru, and Wichert. In 1885, the settlement counted 14 Catholics, 25 evangelicals and 47 Mennonites.
Mennonites who were residents of Rudnerweide were members of the Tragheimerweide Mennonite Church.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Stara Koscielnica." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 6 April 2013. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=528&lang=en.
Wiebe, Herbert. Das Siedlungswerk niederländischen Mennoniten im Weichseltal. Marburg, 1952: 40, 85.
Wikipedia. "Rudniki, Kwidzyn County." Web. 3 October 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudniki,_Kwidzyn_County.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 29 September 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 375. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne and Richard D. Thiessen. "Rudnerweide (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2013. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/rudnerweide_west_prussia_germany.
APA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne and Richard D. Thiessen. (April 2013). Rudnerweide (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/rudnerweide_west_prussia_germany.