Salem Mennonite Church (Ruff, Washington, USA)
Salem Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite) is now extinct and located just west of Ruff, Washington. Members lived scattered in Grant and Adams counties. It was organized in 1910 with 32 members, although services were held in various schoolhouses from the beginning of the settlement in 1903. It built a meeting house in 1910. By 1920 it reached its maximum of about 60 members. This church shared most of its ministers with the Menno Church about 18 miles (29 km) away, to which most of the remaining members transferred when the dwindling membership (24) decided to discontinue in 1937.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1118. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Salem Mennonite Church (Ruff, Washington, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/salem_mennonite_church_ruff_washington_usa.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1959). Salem Mennonite Church (Ruff, Washington, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/salem_mennonite_church_ruff_washington_usa.